Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Does Promotion Mix Really Help to Enhance Brand Equity:A Literature Review
In the modern marketing, promotion is the most familiar strategy used by the various business organizations to fascinate the customer. Promotional mix is a critical approach to enhance the sales that are why companies try to do some more attractive, influencing promotion through various media. The prime motive of the article is reviewing the promotions mix elements significance (advertising, personal selling, public relations and direct marketing, sale promotion) to brand equity dimensions. The result endorses that promotional mix component helps to enhance the brand equity. No doubt, promotion mix elements have a dynamic and significant impact on brand equity, but studies also recommended that monetary promotion might harm brand image which can be a negative effect on brand equity creation. This article discusses the significance of promotion mix element to brand equity.
Promotion Mix, Brand Equity, Significance, Advertising.
- Aaker, D. A. (1991). Managing brand equity: Capitalizing on the value of a brand name. New York: Free Press.
- Aaker, D. A. (1996). Measuring brand equity across products and markets. California management review, 38(3), 102-120.
- Aaker, D. A., and Joachimsthaler, E. (2000). Brand Leadership. New York: The Free Press
- Aaker, D. A., and Jacobson, R. (1994). The study shows brandbuilding pays off for stockholders. Advertising Age, 65(30), 18.
- Buil, I. B., de Chernatony, L., and Leslie, E. (2010, February). The Effect of Advertising and Sales Promotions on Brand Equity. In The 6th Thought Leaders in Brand Management International Conference (p. 14).
- Brassington, F. and Pettitt, S. (2000) Principles of Marketing. 2nd ed. FT/Prentice Hall
- Clayton, M., and Heo, J. (2011). Effects of promotional-based advertising on brand associations. Journal of Product and Brand Management, 20(4), 309-315.
- Charanah, J., and Njuguna, R. K. (2015). The effects of promotional mix tools on brand equity among hospitals in Nairobi County. International Journal of Sales, Retailing and Marketing 4(6), 45-51
- Chandon, P., Wansink, B., and Laurent, G. (2000). A benefit congruency framework of sales promotion effectiveness. Journal of Marketing, 64(4), 65-81.
- Eberechukwu, A.J. and Chukwuma, A. (2016) integrated marketing communication in building customer-based brand equity: a review paper International Journal of management and economics invention 2(3), 573-582
- GashawTibebe, A. S. (2016). The Effects of Advertising Spending and Event Sponsorship on Brand Equity in the Ethiopian Brewery Industry. Global Journal of Management and Business Research, 15(10).
- Gupta, S. (1988). The impact of sales promotions on when what, and how much to buy. Journal of Marketing Research, 342-355.
- Hsieh, A. T., and Li, C. K. (2008). The moderating effect of brand image on public relations perception and customer loyalty. Marketing Intelligence and Planning, 26(1), 26-42.
- Hanaysha, J. (2016). The Importance of Social Media Advertisements in Enhancing Brand Equity: A Study on Fast Food Restaurant Industry in Malaysia. International Journal of Innovation, Management, and Technology, 7(2), 46.
- James, S., and Rajendran, L. (2013). Effect of public relation on customer loyalty with special reference to e-commerce portals. Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 5(2), 87.
- Keller, K. L. (1993). Conceptualizing, measuring, and managing customer-based brand equity. The Journal of Marketing, 1-22.
- Kim, K. H., Kim, K. S., Kim, D. Y., Kim, J. H., and Kang, S. H. (2008). Brand equity in hospital marketing. Journal of business research, 61(1), 75-82.
- Karunanithy, M., and Sivesan, S. (2013). An empirical study on the promotional mix and brand equity: Mobile service providers. Industrial Engineering Letters, 3(3), 1-9.
- Karamian, H., Nadoushan, M. A., and Nadoushan, A. A. (2015). Do Social Media Marketing Activities Increase Brand Equity. International Journal of Economy, Management, and Social Sciences, 4(3), 362-365.
- Kirmani, A., and Wright, P. (1989). Money talks: Perceived advertising expense and expected product quality. Journal of consumer research, 16(3), 344-353.
- Keller, K. L. (2010). Brand equity management in a multichannel, multimedia retail environment. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 24(2), 58-70.
- Laldinliana. (2012). Consumer behavior towards two wheelers and four wheelers: A study on rural and urban Mizoram. Indian Journal of Marketing, 42 (10), 53-59.
- Montaner, T., and Pina, J. M. (2011). The effect of promotion type and benefit congruency on brand image. Journal of Applied Business Research (JABR), 24(3).
- Mongkol, K. (2014). Integrated Marketing Communication to Increase Brand Equity: The Case of a Thai Beverage Company. International Journal of Trade, Economics, and Finance, 5(5), 445.
- Oh, H., and Kwon, K. N. (2009). An exploratory study of sales promotions for multichannel holiday shopping. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, 37(10), 867-887
- Palazón-Vidal, M., and Delgado-Ballester, E. (2005). Sales promotions effects on consumer-based brand equity. International Journal of Market Research, 47(2), 179-204
- Pheng Low, S., and Tan, M. C. (1995). A convergence of Western marketing mix concepts and oriental strategic thinking. Marketing Intelligence and Planning, 13(2), 36-46.
- Rahmani, Z., Mojaveri, H. S., and Allahbakhsh, A. (2012). Review the Impact of Advertising and Sale Promotion on Brand Equity. Journal of business studies quarterly, 4(1), 64.
- Shafi, S.I., and Madhavaiah, C. (2013) An empirical study on the impact of promotional mix elements on brand equity: a study of FMCG in India. Madras University Journal Of Business And Finance 1(2), 46 – 56.
- Simon, C. J., and Sullivan, M. W. (1993). The measurement and determinants of brand equity: A financial approach. Marketing Science, 12(1), 28-52.
- Sedaghat, N., Sedaghat, M., and Moakher, A. K. (2012). The impact of promotional mix elements on brand equity. Iran: Payame Noor University, Islamic Azad University, and Mazandaran University.
- Salelaw, G. T., and Singh, A. (2015). The Effects Of Advertising Spending And Event Sponsorship On Brand Equity In The Ethiopian Brewery Industry. British Journal of Marketing Studies, 3(9), 47-68.
- Selvakumar, J. J., and Vikkraman, P. (2011). The impact of advertising and price promotions on brand equity in the service sector. Journal of Contemporary Research in Management, 6(3), 51.
- Sadek, H., Tantawi, P., and Redding, P. (2016). Measuring the impact of personal selling on building bank brand equity: Egypt case. The Business and Management Review, 7(2), 76-89.
- Tufail, S., Saeed, R., Zameer, H., Bilal, M., and Naeem, B. (2014). The impact of sponsorship and publicity on brand equity. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 4(12), 15.
- Tong, X., and Hawley, J. M. (2009). Creating brand equity in the Chinese clothing market: The effect of selected marketing activities on brand equity dimensions. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal, 13(4), 566581.
- Valette-Florence, P., Guizani, H., and Merunka, D. (2011). The impact of brand personality and sales promotions on brand equity.Journal of Business Research, 64(1), 24-28.
- Yoo, B., Donthu, N., and Lee, S. (2000). An examination of selected marketing mix elements and brand equity. Journal of the academy of marketing science, 28(2), 195-211.
- Zarantonello, L., and Schmitt, B. H. (2013). The impact of event marketing on brand equity: The mediating roles of brand experience and brand attitude. International Journal of Advertising, 32(2), 255-280.
Abstract Views: 50
PDF Views: 0