Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Effect of Claim Settlement Practices on the Operating Efficiency and Profitability of Life Insurance Companies of India- A Comparative Study of Public and Select Private Sector
Claim settlement management is the one of the most important service that comes under the crucial quality of life insurance service. The objectives formulated in this study are to study the claims settlement practices of public and select private sector life insurance companies, India and to analyze the effect of claim settlement practices on the operating efficiency and profitability performance of public sector and select private sector life insurance companies, India. The exploratory research design is applied. The convenient sampling technique is used for selecting the companies from the life insurance industry which constitutes 87.07 % share in the industry as per IRDA Annual report 2009-10. The LIC of India is the only one state owned firm in the public sector and ICICI Prudential Life Insurance, HDFC Life Insurance, SBI Life Insurance and Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance companies under private sector were taken as sample. The IRDA annual reports and the selected company annual reports from 2001-02 to 2012-13 were used for collecting the required data. The various benefits such as maturity benefits, death claims, annuity, etc., paid to the policy holders by the select public and private sector companies are analyzed. Operating efficiency of life insurance companies are calculated by using data envelopment analysis tool with the dea online software. The market share (MS), Return on Assets (ROA), Claim Settlement Ratio (CSR) and Claim Rejection Ratio (CRR) were calculated. These are analyzed by using statistical tools such as linear growth rates, compound annual growth rates, and coefficient of variance, mean and coefficient of correlation. The analyzed reveals that LIC of India is the industry leader not only in sale of policies but also in the benefit payments. In overall benefit payments among the select private sector life insurance companies, ICICI Prudential Life insurance was the top performer followed by HDFC Life insurance, Bajaj Allianz life insurance and SBI Life insurance. It is concluded that the claim settlement practices of life insurance industry had statistically significant impact on their profitability as well as operating efficiency. More-over, claim settlement practices of select life insurance players had statistically significant positive impact on the profitability but they had statistically significant negative impact on their operating efficiency due to increased operational risk for enhanced sales or more underwritten policies Hence companies should maintain optimum claim settlement practices to achieve good market share and profitability.
Claim Settlement, Market Share, Operating Efficiency, Profitability and IRDA.
- Kalani, Salunkhe, and Ahirrao. "Comparative study ofclaim settlement ratio of LIC with other insurance companies in India." Indian Journal of Applied Research 3, no. 5 (May 2014): 389-391.
- Rajesh K, Yadav, and Mohania Sarvesh. "Claim Settlement of Life Insurance Policies in Insurance Services with Special reference to Life Insurance Corporation of India." Indian Journal of Economics and Development 1, no. 1 (2013): 29-37. Sonal Nena ,Performance Evaluation of Life Corporation of India, IJARCSMS ,Vol.1(7),December ,2013,pp.113-118.
- Narayana Gowd, T, Ch Dr.Bhanu Kiran, and Ch Dr.RamaPrasada Rao. "Performance Analysis of Life Insurance Industry in India." Asian Journal of Management 3, no. 4 (October- December 2012): 179-187.
- Kumar, M.Selva, and J Vimal Priyan. "A comparative study of public and private life insurance companies in India." The Indian Journal of Commerce 65, no. 1 (2012): 81-87.
- Ram Prasad, Bagri, and M Saini. "Life Insurance Business in India: A comparative study of Public and Private companies." Journal of Commerce and Information Technology 10, no. 1 (January-June 2010): 76-80.
- Laxman, Karver Dr.Shrikrishna. Principles of Life Insurance. Mumbai: Himalaya Publication House, 2009.
- Kutty k. Shashidharan (2008), “Managing Life Insurance”, Prentice Hall of India Pvt Ltd, New Delhi. .
- Sinha R.P., 2007, Premium Income of Indian Life Insurance Industry: A Total Factor Productivity Approach’’, The ICFAI Journal of Financial Economics, Volume 5, N0 1:61 -69.
- P.K.Gupta. (2006). Fundamentals of Insurance ( Reprint ed.). New Delhi: Himalaya Publishing House.
- Viswanadham, P."Claims settlement operations performance evaluation of LIC." The Indian Journal of Commerce 58, no. 2 (April -June 2005): 80-90.
Abstract Views: 127
PDF Views: 0