Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Visual Merchandising and Impulse Buying Behavior with Special Reference to Retail Industry
The purpose of this study is to focuses on effect of Visual Merchandising on consumers’ impulse buying behavior and to find out key elements of Visual Merchandising contributing to the most for impulse buying. This research is completed by followed review of literature approach where extensive literature has been reviewed to find out the relationship between visual merchandising and impulse buying in various forms of retail formats including e-retailing. Study found that visual merchandising practices certainly influence customers’ buying behavior and leads to Impulse buying as well. The results suggest that attributes that are associated most strongly with purchase intention were: merchandise coloring, presentation, styling, awareness of fixtures, path to merchandise, sensory qualities of materials and lighting. This paper also offers marketers valuable insights on how different visual merchandising combinations can be carried out in order to attract new potential customers and to retain the existing ones.
Buying, Consumer Behavior, Visual Merchandising Store Layout, Window Display.
- Bellizzi, J. A., Crowley, A. E. and Hasty, R. W. 1983, 'The effects of color in store design', Journal of Retailing, vol. 59, pp. 21-45.
- Abratt, R. and Goodey, D. S. 1990. 'Unplanned Buying and InStore Stimuli in Supermarkets', Managerial and Decision Economics, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 111-121.
- Bruner II and Gordon C. 1990, 'Music, Mood, and Marketing', Journal of Marketing, pp. 94-104.
- Bastow-Shoop, H., Zetocha, D., and Passewitz, G. 1991. Visual merchandising: A guide for small retailers. Iowa: University Publications.
- Bellizzi, A. J. and Hite, E. R. 1992.'Environmental Color, Consumer Feelings, and Purchase Likelihood', Psychology and Marketing, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 347-363.
- Rook, D., and Fisher, R. 1995. Normative influences on impulse buying behaviour. Journal of Consumer Research, 22 (3), 305-313.
- Gaynor Lea-Greenwood 1998, "Visual merchandising: a neglected area in UK fashion marketing?" Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, Volume: 10 Issue: 1, pp.103-107.
- Schiffmen, L.G., Kanuk, L.K. 2000. Consumer Behaviour. India: Pearson Education Inc.
- Young Ha, Wi-Suk Kwon, Sharron J. Lennon 2007, Online visual merchandising (VMD) of apparel web sites, Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, Volume: 11 Issue: 4, pp.83-87.
- Wanninayake, W. M. C. B. and Randiwela, P. 2007, 'The Impact of Visual Merchandising on Consumer Store Choice Decisions in Sri Lankan Supermarkets', In: 7th Global Conference on Business and Economics, Rome 13-14 October 2007.
- C. Selvaraj , Cr. M. Swaminathan. "Brunt of Visual Merchandise on Retail Store Penchant" JM international journal of marketing management. January 2011, vol. 1, no.2.
- Kalla, S. M., and Arora, A. 2011. Impulse Buying: A literature Review. Global Business Review, 12 (1), 145157.
- K. R Pillai, Azmiya Iqbal, Habiba Umer, Aisha Maqbool and Namrata S. 2011, "Visual Merchandising and Customer Appeal". MPRA Paper No. 30365, pp. 1-23.
- Jiyeon Kim 2012, College Students' Apparel Impulse Buying Behaviors In Relation To Visual Merchandising, General Review ,pp. 1-72.
- Alireza Miremadi, Rahil Khoei 2013, "The Art of Visual Merchandising on Consumer Buying Behavior: A Case Study of Retailing Industry", International Journal of Contemporary Business Studies, Vol.: 4, No: 6, pp. 34-50.
- Jigna N. Ahir, Vishal J. Mali 2013:"Visual Merchandising: A Silent Salesman of Contemporary Retailer", Indian Journal of Research, Vol. 2, Issue: 8, pp.169-171.
- Kaur, Amandeep 2013, "Effect of Visual Merchandising on Buying Behavior of Customers in Chandigarh" ISO 9001:2008 Certified International Journal of Engineering Science and Innovative Technology (IJESIT) Volume 2, Issue 3, May 2013, pp.247-251.
- S Madhavi and T S Leelavati 2013, Impact Of Visual Merchandising On Consumer Behavior Towards Women Apparel, International journal of Management research and business strategy, Vol. 2 , No.4, pp. 1-14.
- Vandana Gupta 2013, study on visual merchandising for home furniture retail store, International Journal of Retailing and Rural Business Perspectives Pezzottaite Journals, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 555564.
- Yolande Hefer, Michael. C. Cant 2013, Visual Merchandising Displays' Effect on Consumers: A Valuable Asset or an Unnecessary Burden for Apparel Retailers ". International Business and Economics Research Journal, Vol. 12, No. 10, pp.1217-1223.
Abstract Views: 101
PDF Views: 0