Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Integrating Effect of Consumer Perception on Buying Intention:A Conceptual Model of Buying Behaviour for Tribal Handicrafts Products
This article develops a comprehensive theoretical model that integrates the effects of consumer perception on buying intention towards tribal handicrafts. The proposed model is based on the theory of planned behaviour. The model proposes that attitude towards the product, perceived subjective norms, perceived consumption status along with cultural motivation could be a better approach to predict and justify the buying intention and buying behaviour with specific to tribal handicraft products. The thrust behind doing this research is to incorporate cultural motivation as a new concept for understanding the buying behaviour towards tribal handicrafts. Every consumer is emotionally attached to their culture and attributes of the culture plays a significant role in developing the motives of the consumer; which is reflected in their buying behaviour. The novelty of doing this research is to develop a robust model; which could predict and justify the buying intention and buying behaviour for culturally rich, tribal handicrafts product. The idea has been proposed after the gap analysis. To the end of this academic endeavour, a conceptual model has been proposed and the validity of the proposed model may be subject to empirical study.
Tribal Handicrafts, Theory of Planned Behaviour, Cultural Motivation.
- Ajzen, I. (1985). From Intentions to Actions: A Theory of Planned Behavior. In J. Kuhl, and J. Beckmann (Eds.), Action Control - From intention to behaviour.11-39. Springer-Verlag.
- Ajzen, I. (1991). The theory of planned behaviour. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 50, 179–211.
- Ajzen, I. (2001). Nature and operation of attitudes. Annual review of psychology, 52(1), 27 -58.
- Ajzen, I. (2002). Perceived Behavioural Control, Self-Efficacy, Locus of Control, and the Theory of Planned Behaviour. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 32, 665-683.
- Ajzen, I. (2006). Constructing a TpB Questionnaire: Conceptual and Methodological Considerations.
- Ajzen, I., and Fishbein, M. (2005). The Influence of Attitudes on Behavior. In D. Albarracin, B. T. Johnson, and M. P. Zanna (Eds.), The Handbook of Attitudes (pp. 173-221). New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associate Inc.
- Ajzen, I., Joyce, N., Sheikh, S., and Gilbert Cote, N. (2011). Knowledge and the Prediction of Behavior: The Role of Information Accuracy in the Theory of Planned Behavior. Basic And Applied Social Psychology , 33, 101–117.
- Amjad, N., and Wood, A.M. (2009). Identifying and changing the normative beliefs about aggression which lead young Muslim adults to join extremist anti-Semitic groups in Pakistan. Aggressive Behaviour, 35, 514–519
- Anumala and Acharyulu (2015). A Demographic Study on Customer Satisfaction about Handloom Products in India – A Study on Andhra Pradesh State Handloom Weavers’ Cooperative Society Limited. Journal of Textile and Apparel Technology and Management. 9(3).1-15
- Armitage, C. J., and Christian, J. (2003). From Attitudes to Behaviour: Basic and Applied Research on the Theory of Planned Behaviour. Current Psychology , 22, 187–195.
- Armitage, C. J., and Conner, M. (2001). Efficacy of the theory of planned behaviour: A meta-analytic review. British Journal of Social Psychology, 40, 471–499.
- Armstrong and Kotler( 2010), Principle of Marketing, Prentice Hall, 2010
- Baker J, Parasuraman A, Grewal D, Voss GB(2002). The influence of multiple store environment cues on perceived merchandise value and patronage intentions. Journal of Marketing. 66(2):120–41.
- Bal, R.K. and Dash, M. (2010). A Study on Factors Determining Buying Behavior Of Handicraft Items-with Reference to Handicrafts of Orissa. KAIM Journal of Management And Research. 2(2). 24-34.
- Barrett, L.F. and Russell, J.A. The psychological construction of emotion. Guilford Press. 2015.
- Berglund, G., and Kvale, G. (2011). Affective and cognitive attitudes, uncertainty avoidance and intention to obtain genetic testing: An extension of the theory of planned behaviour. Psychology and Health, 26, 1143–1155
- Bowen, J. T., and Chen, S. L. (2001). The relationship between customer loyalty and customer satisfaction. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 13(5), 213217.http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09596110110395893
- Cabanac, Michel (2002). "What is emotion?" Behavioural Processes 60(2): 69-83.
- Dasgupta. A, and Chandra. B, (2015). Unfolding Consumption Dynamics of Handmade In India: A Correspondence Analysis. Vidyabharati International Interdisciplinary Research Journal. 4(3).27-38.
- Dash, M. (2010). Buyers’ Preferences for Purchase of Selected Handicrafts With Special Reference to Orissa. The IUP Journal of Management Research. 9(6).38-56.
- Dash. M (2011), Marketing of Odisha Handicrafts: A study on Challenges and Opportunities. Excel International Journal of Multidisciplinary Management Studies.1(2).47.
- Dash. M, (2015), The Role Of Family Influence In Buying Handicrafts Products. International Journal in Management and Social Science. 3(2). 445-453.
- Deshmukh, P.M. (2013). Buying Behaviour of Consumer Towards Handloom and Handicraft with Special Reference to Cidco Urban Haat Project Navi Mumbai. Peer Reviewed Journal.2(5).205-215. Retrieved From:http://amierj.weebly.com/uploads/1/0/8/0/10800505/pd18.pdf.
- Featherstone, M. (1991) Consumer Culture and Postmodernism. London: Sage.
- Fishbein M, Ajzen I.(1957) Belief, attitude, intention, and behavior: an introduction to
- theory and research. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Gaulin, Steven J. C. and Donald H. McBurney. Evolutionary Psychology. Prentice Hall. 2013., Chapter 6, p 121-142.
- Gopal, Mukherjee and Sharma (2013). Buying Behaviour for Handicrafts among Foreign Tourists in Mumbai. Tourism in Global Village, Edited Book, Lambert Academic Publishing, 18 33
- Hightower R, Brady MK, Baker TL(2002). Investigating the role of the physical environment in hedonic service consumption: an exploratory study of sporting events. Journal of Business Research 55(4):697–707.
- McKercher, B. (2002). Towards a classification of cultural tourists. International Journal of Tourism Research. 4(1). 29–38.
- Mogindol and Bagul, (2014).Tourists' Perceptions about an Appealing Handicraft. Tourism, Leisure and Global Change, 1 (1), 10 -24.
- Nasra (2016). Demographic Factors and Preference for Travel Activities among Tourists in Tanzania. International Journal of Science Arts and Commerce. 1(3).9 -22.
- Oliver, R. L. (1999). Whence consumer loyalty? Journal of Marketing.63:33-44. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1252099
- Oliver, T.A. (1997), Satisfaction: A Behavioral Perspective on the Consumer, Irwin McGraw-Hill, Boston, MA.
- Ortony A, Clore GL, Collins A. The Cognitive Structure of Emotions. New York: Cambridge University Press; 1988.
- Otnes, C., Lowrey, T.M. and Shrum, L.J. (1997).Toward an understanding of consumer ambivalence. Journal of Consumer Research, 24: 80-93.
- Pani, D. and Pradhan, S.K.(2016). An empirical study of impact of demographic variables on consumer preference towards tribal handicraft – A case of Rayagada District during Chaiti Festival. Pacific Business Review International. 8 (7). 61- 68.
- Penthip. V, Chanin. Y (2006). A Study on Factors Affecting Purchasing Decision on Thai Silk Handicraft of International Tourists in Bangkok. Proceedings of the 1st UTCC Graduate Research Conference 2006: Multi-disciplinary Research Papers. 26-28 May 2006, University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, Building 5, Floor 2, 3 Bangkok, Thailand.
- Phelps EA, Ling S, Carrasco M(2006). Emotion facilitates perception and potentiates the perceptual benefits of attention. Psychological Science. 17(4):292–299.
- Plutchik, R. (1980), Emotion: A Psycho evolutionary Synthesis, Harper and Row, New York, NY.
- Rani. N and Banis. A, (2014). Consumer Behaviour towards Handloom Products In The State Of Punjab and Haryana. International Journal of Advanced Research in Management and Social Sciences. 3(10).92-105.
- Richins, M. (1997). Measuring emotions in the consumption experience. Journal of Consumer Research. 24(2):127-46.
- Schacter, Daniel L. (2011). Psychology Second Edition. 41 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10010: Worth Publishers. p. 310.
- Schiffman, L. G., and Kanuk, L. L. (2010). Consumer Behaviour. 9th Edition .International. Inc.: Prentice Hall.
- Sekar. S, Parwin. J and Vignesh. R,(2014). A Study on Customer Perception And Marketing Issues of Cottage Industry Products In Madurai District. Asia Pacific Journal of Research. 1(9). 177 184.
- Sheth, J. N., Mittal, B., Newman, B. I., and Sheth, J. N. (2004). Consumer behaviour: A managerial perspective. Thomson/SouthWestern.
- Shim S, Eastlick MA, Lotz SL, Warrington P(2001). An online prepurchase intentions model: the role of intention to search. Journal of Retail.77:397–416.
- Silver, G. D., and Kumdu, P.K.(2013). Handicraft Products: Identify the Factors that Affecting the Buying Decision of Customers. Thesis. Umea University.
- Theories of Emotion. Psychology.about.com. 13 September 2013. Retrieved11 November 2013.
- Tomaz, K. and Vensa, Z (2010). A consumer-based model of authenticity: An oxymoron or the foundation of cultural heritage marketing?. Tourism Management. 31(1).652-644.
- Tourism Trends for Europe. (2006). European travel commission, September 2006. Available at. http://www.Etc-Corporate.Org/Resources/Uploads/ETC_Tourism_Trends_for_Europe_09-2006_ENG.Pdf.
- Vadhanasindhu, p. and Yoopetch, C. (2006). A Study on Factors Affecting Purchasing Decision on Thai Silk Handicraft of International Tourists in Bangkok. Masters. Bangkok, School of Business, University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce.
- Warshaw PR, Davis FD(1985). Disentangling behavioral intention and behavioral expectation. J Exp Soc Psychol;21:213– 28.
- Westbrook, R.A. and Oliver, R.L. (1991).The dimensionality of consumption emotion patterns and consumer satisfaction. Journal of Consumer Research, 18: 84-91.
- Wiboonpongse, A., Sriboonchitta, S. and Chaovanapoonphol, Y. (2007). Modeling a Hedonic Price of Northern Thai Handicraft Products. ASIMMOD, 472 – 478.
- Wirtz, J. and Bateson, J.E.G. (1999).Consumer satisfaction with services: integrating the environmental perspective in services marketing into traditional disconfirmation paradigm. Journal of Business Research.44:55-6.
- Yoon, Y., and Uysal, M. (2005).An examination of the effects of motivation and satisfaction on destination loyalty: a structural model. Tourism Management. 26(1). 45–56.
Abstract Views: 52
PDF Views: 0