Construing Purchase of Fashion Through Brand’s Image, Attitude and Experience-Mediating Effect of Brand Loyalty
Fashionista in today’s modern environment consider brand loyalty as paramount aspect of their marketing strategy. With abundance of options and choices available to audience, customer’s repurchase intention towards the same brand weakens. Thus making a customer stick to a particular fashion brand is a challenging quest. It is of crucial importance for fashion brands to stand out in the competition. Brand Loyalty helps in gaining that sustainable advantage. In this study, we aim to understand and analyze the precedents of brand loyalty namely Experience, Attitude and Image in influencing the purchase of Fashion Brands. We also study the mediating effect of brand loyalty when it comes to purchase decision of fashion brands. The research paper aims to identify if there is any significant difference in brand loyalty and purchase decision in context of two broad categories of fashion i.e. Luxury and Mass Produced.
In this study, quantitative approach was adopted through a self-designed questionnaire. Survey was filled by 468 consumers who are owners/shoppers of selected fashion brands. Using these data, the hypotheses and conceptual model is tested. Empirical findings based on structural equation modeling show that fashion brands with a higher brand loyalty positively effects the purchase decision. Moreover, research suggests that fashion brand experience highly influences brand loyalty as compared to brand attitude and image in case of luxury fashion brands. On the contrary brand image plays a crucial role in case of mass produced brands. The results of the study also confirm there is significant difference when it comes to luxury fashion brands purchase against mass produced fashion brand’s purchase decision. Further in the study important implications for fashion brand managers and future perspectives of the research are also discussed.
- Bridson K, Evans J. The secret to a fashion advantage is brand orientation. Journal of Retail Distribution Management. 2004;8(32):403-411.
- Rao VR, Agarwal MK, Dahlhoff D. How is manifest branding strategy related to the intangible value of a corporation? Journal of Marketing. 2004;68(4):126-141.
- Martin G, Hetrick S, Lado A,A, Boyd N,G, Wright P, Kroll M. Paradox and theorizing within the resource-based review. Academy of Management Review. 2006;31:115-131.
- Helmig B, Huber JA, Leeflang P. Explaining behavioural intensions toward co-branded products. Journal of Marketing Management. 2007;23(3):285-304.
- Jacoby J, Chestnut RW. Brand Loyalty: Measurememt and Management. New York: John Wiley; 1978.
- Hur WM, Kwang-Ho A, Minsung K. Building brand loyalty through managing brand community commitment. Management Decision. 2011;49(7):1194-1213.
- Webster FEJ. The changing role of marketing in the corporation. Journal of Marketing. 1992;56(4):1-17.
- Baig SA, Zia-Ur-Rehman M, Saud EJ, Aslam T, Shafique A. Mediating roles of customer satisfaction and customer trust in building brand loyalty. An empirical study in Pakistan. Business Management Dynamics. 2015;4(10).
- Banasiewiez A. Loyalty program planning and analytics. Journal of Consumer Marketing. 2005;22:332-339.
- Chaudhuri A, Holbrook MB. The chain of effects from brand trust and brand affect to brand performance: The role of brand loyalty. Journal of Marketing. 2001;6:81-93.
- Kabiraj , Shanmugan J. Development of conceptual framework for Brand Loyalty: A Euro-Mediterranean Perspective. Journal of Brand Management. 2011;18(4/5):285-299.
- Jacoby J, Kyner DB. Brand Loyalty Vs. Repeat Purchasing Behavior. Journal of Marketing Research. 1973;X:1-9.
- Sutikno B. Does consumers' Brand Identification Matter: The mediating roles of Brand Loyalty. The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences. 2011;6(3):1833-1882.
- Gounaris S, Stathokopolous V. Antecedents and consequences of Brand Loyalty: An empirical study. Journal of Brand Management. 2004;11(4):283-296.
- Iglesias O, Singh JJ, Batista-Foguet JM. The role of Brand Experience and affective commitment in determining Brand Loyalty. Journal of Brand Management. 2011;18(8):570-582.
- Amine A. Consumers' true brand loyalty: the central role of commitment. Journal of Strategic Marketing. 2011:305-319.
- Li G, Li G, Kambele Z. Luxury fashion brand consumers in China: Perceived value, fashion lifestyle, and willingness to pay. Journal of Business Research. 2012;65:1516-1522.
- Netemeyer R, Krishnan B, Pullig C, et al. Developing and validating measures of facets of customer-based brand equity. Journal of Business Research. 2004;57:209-224.
- Jing TS, Andrew GP, Sheau-Fen Y. Corporate branding, emotional attachment and brand loyalty: the case of luxury fashion branding. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal. 2013;17(4):403-423.
- Dick AS, Basu K. Customer Loyalty: Toward an Integrated Conceptual Framework. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. 1994;22:99-113.
- Homburg C, Giering A. Personal characteristics as moderators of the relationship between customer satisfaction and loyalty - An empirical analysis. In: 1, ed. Psychology and Marketing. Vol 18; 2001.
- Ho JC, Heekang M, Hyunsook K, Namhee Y. Luxury Customer Value. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal. 2012;16(1):88-101.
- Arnould EJ, Price L, Zinkhan GL. Consumers. New York: McGraw Hill; 2002.
- Chang P, Chieng M. Building customer-brand relationship: A cross cultural experience view. Psychology and Marketing. 2006;23(11):927-959.
- HaeJung K. "The dimensionality of fashion‐brand experience: Aligning consumer‐based brand equity approach". Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal. 2012;16(4):418-441.
- Francisco-Maffezzolli EC, Semprebon E, Prado PHM. Construing loyalty through brand experience: The mediating role of brand relationship quality. Journal of Brand Management. 2014:446458.
- Ramaseshan B, Stein A. Connecting the dots between brand experience and brand loyalty: The mediating role of brand personality and brand relationships.. Journal of Brand Management. 2014:664-683.
- Mitchell AA, Jerry OC. Are Product Beleifs the only mediator of Advertising Effect on Brand Attitude? Journal of Marketing Research. 1981:318-32.
- Spears N, Singh S. Measuring Attitude toward the brand and Purchase Intension. Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising. 2004:53-66.
- Keller KL. Conceptualizing, measuring and managing customerbased brand equity. Journal of Marketing. 1993;57:1-22.
- Michaelidou N, Micevski M, Cadogan JW. An evaluation of non profit brand image: towards a better conceptualization and measurement. Journal of Business Research. 2015;68(8).
- Koo DM. Inter-relationship among store images, store satisfaction and store loyalty among Korea discount retail patterns. Asia Pacific Journal of marketing and logistics. 2003:42-71.
- Akaah IP, Korgaonkar PK. A conjoint investigation of the relative importance of Risk Relievers in Direct Marketing. Journal of Advertising Research. 1988;28(4):3-8, 44.
- Loudon DY, Bitta D, Albert J. Consumer Behavior: Concepts and Applications. New York: McGraw Hill Company; 1988.
- Jihye P, Leslie S. Effect of brand familiarity, experience and information on online apparel purchase. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management. 2005:148-160.
- Wolfinbarger M, Gilly MC. Shopping online for Freedom, Control and fun. California Management Review. 2001;43(2):34-55.
- Kim YM, Shim KY. The influence of Internet shopping, mall characteristics and user traits on purchase intent. Irish Marketing Review. 2002;15(2):25-34.
- Dubois B, Duquesne P. The market for luxury goods: Income versus culture. European Journal of Marketing. 1993;27(1):35-45.
- Atwal G, Williams A. Luxury brand marketing — The experience is everything! Journal of Brand Management. 2009;16(5/6):338346.
- Chen ACH, Chen SK, Ma CL. Brand Experience and Customer Equity Prediction. Advances in Business and Management Forecasting. Vol 11: Emerald Group Publishing Limited; 2016.
- Dhar R, Wertenbroch K. Consumer choice between Hedonic and Utilitarian goods. Journal of Marketing Research. 2000;37:60-71.
- Holmberg C, Öhnfeldt R. The female fashion consumer behaviour: From the perspective of the shop fever in Gothenbburg. Bachelor Thesis. 2010.
- Anderson J, Gerbing D. Structural Equation Modeling in Practice: A Review and Recommended Twp-Step Approach. Psychological Bulletin. 1988;103(3):411-423.
- Fornell C, Larcker DF. Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error. Journal of Marketing Research. 1981;18(1):39-50.
- Guielford JP. Fundamental Statistics in Psychology and Education. Vol 4th ed. New York: Mc Graw-Hill; 1965.
- Nusair KK, Hua. Comparative assessment of structural equation modeling and multiple regression research methodologies: Ecommerce context. Tourism Management. 2010;31(3):314-324.
- Hair et al. Multivariate Data Analysis. Vol 6th Edition. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall; 2006.
- Bowne MW, Cudeck R. Alternative ways of assessing. Testing structural. Newbury Park, CA: Sage; 1993.
- MacKinnon DP, Fairchild AJ, Fritz MS. Mediation Analysis. Annual Review of Psychology. 2007;58:593-614.
Abstract Views: 29
PDF Views: 0