Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
A Study on the Indicator Framework of Responsible Tourism in Tourism Accommodation Sector
Tourism is often considered as one of the fastest growing sectors in the world. It has a distinctive role in industrial growth and regional development. However, unscientific planning and development cause severe repercussions in the life of communities live in destinations. It produces conflict between local community and industry. In order to strike a balance between growth of tourism and community development, positive interventions from the industry seems a need of the hour. This study proposes a frame work for the industry to practice responsible tourism with a goal of achieving sustainable destination management.
Responsible Tourism, Responsible Business, Sustainable Development, Corporate Social Responsibility, Triple Bottom Line.
- ADB. (2003). Unleashing Economic Growth; Region-Based Urban Development Strategy For Nepal. Asian Development Bank (ADB).
- Akpan, E. I., and Obang, C. E. (2012). Tourism: A Strategy for Sustainable Economic Development in Cross River State, Nigeria. International Journal of Business and Social Science , 3 (5), 124129.
- AMA. (2006). The Ethical Enterprise. American Management Association/Human Resource Institute.
- AMA and HRI . (2005). Business Ethics Survey.
- Breugel, v. L. (2013). Community-based tourism: Local participation and perceived impacts; A comparative study between two communities in Thailand. Master Thesis, Faculty of Social Sciences, Radboud University Nijmegen.
- Buckley, R., Pickering, C., and Weaver, D. (2003). Nature-based tourism, environment and land management. Cambridge: CABI Publishing.
- Butler, R. W. (2006). The Concept of a Tourist Area Life Cycle of Evolution: Implications for Management of Resources. In The Tourism Area Life Cycle: Applications and Modifications. Clevedon: Channel View Publications.
- Carroll, A. B. (1979). A Three Dimensional Conceptual Model of Corporate Social Performance. Academy of Management Review, 4 (4), 497–505.
- Cavus, S., and Tanrisevdi, A. (2003). Residents' attitudes toward tourism development: A case study in Kusadasi, Turkey. Tourism Analysis , 259-269.
- DEAT. (2012). Responsible Tourism Guideliness. Republic of South Africa: Department for Environmental Affairs and Tourism,.
- DEAT. (2002). National Responsible Tourism Development Guidelines for South Africa. Department Of Environmental Affairs And Tourism (Deat), South Africa.
- DEAT. (1996). A White Paper on the Development and Promotion of Tourism . South Africa: Department of Environment and Tourism.
- Dodds, R., and Joppe, M. (2005). CSR in the tourism industry? the status of and potential for certification, codes of conduct and guidelines, study prepared for the CSR practice. Study prepared for the CSR Practice Foreign Investment Advisory Service Investment Climate Department .
- Eja, E. I., Judith, E., Ewa, E., and Ndomah. (2011). The Role of Private Sector Participation in Sustainable Tourism Development in Cross River State, Nigeria. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2 (2), 153-160.
- Hall, J., and Vredenburg, H. (2004). Sustainable development innovation and competitive advantage: implications for business, policy and management education. Corporate Sustainability: Governance, Innovation Strategy, Development and Methods , 129-140.
- Harrison, L. C., and Husbands, W. (1996). Practicing responsible tourism: International case studies in tourism planning, policy and development. New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Heemskerk, L. (2012). How Responsible Is Responsible Business? An analysis of the drivers and effects of the responsible business practices of Dutch enterprises operational in Kenyan agribusiness. University Utrecht, Geography Department: Master Thesis International Development Studies.
- Goodwin, H. (2006). Community-based tourism failing to deliver?. London: ID 21 Insight 62.: Department for International Development.
- GRI. (2011). Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. Amsterdam: Global Reporting Initiative.
- (GSTC-D). (2013). Global Sustainable Tourism Criteria for Destinations (GSTC-D). Global Sustainable Tourism Criteria for Destinations ver. 1.0 – 1 November 2013.
- Gupta, A. D. (2007). Social responsibility in India towards global compact approach. International Journal of Social Economics, 34 (9), 637-663.
- Jung, E. K., and Lori, P.-G. (2011). Corporate Social Responsibility and Ethics in the Tourism Industry: Using a Survey of Managers. The Business Review, 18 (2).
- Kerala Tourism (2012). Responsible Tourism Criteria (RTC). Thiruvananthapuram: Department of Tourism.
- Kerala Tourism. (2012). Kerala Tourism Policy. Thiruvananthapuram: Department of Tourism, Government of Kerala.
- Kerala Tourism. (2007). Better Together; Workshop on Responsible Tourism. Thiruvananthapuram: Department of Tourism, Governemnt of Kerala.
- Kerala Tourism. (2007). Guidelines for implementing Responsible Tourism. Thiruvananthapuram: Department of Tourism, Governemnt of Kerala.
- Khalid, S. (2004). Development and Validation of the Index of Personal Growth (IPG) and the familial and Dispositional predictors of personal growth. Ph.D. Thesis .
- Kim, K. (2002). The Effects o f Tourism Impacts on Quality o f Life o f the Residents in the Community. PhD Thesis. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University: Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management.
- Krippendorf, J. (1982). Toward new tourism policy, the importance of environmental and socio-cultural factors. Tourism Management , 135-148.
- Liu, J. C., and Var, T. (1986). Resident attitudes toward tourism impacts in Hawaii. Annals of Tourism research , 193-214.
- Martínez, P., Perez, A., and Bosque, R. d. (2013). Measuring Corporate Social Responsibility In Tourism: Development and Validation of an Efficient Measurement Scale in The Hospitality Industry. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing , 365–385.
- Malloy, D. C., and Fennell, D. A. (1998). Ecotourism and Ethics: Moral Development and Organizational Cultures. Journal of Travel Research , 47-56.
- MCA. (2011). The National Voluntary Guidelines on SocioEconomic and Environmental Responsibilities of Business. New Delhi: Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of Indai.
- Mitchell, J., and Muckosy, P. (2008). A misguided quest: Community-based tourism in Latin America. London: Overseas Development Institute.
- Newstrom, John, W., and Ruch, A. W. (1975). ‘The Ethics of Management and the Management of Ethics. MSU, Business Topics (Winter) , 23-97.
- OECD. (2008). OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises. PARIS: OECD.
- Paul, V. M., and Rupesh, K. K. (2013). Responsible Tourism: a Strategy for Grass root level Empowerment. Innovative Issues and Approaches in Social Sciences (IIAAS), 7 (1), 54-71.
- Pleumarom, A. (2012). Responsible Tourism: Concepts, Theory and Practice. (L. David, Ed.) London, UK: CAB International.
- Pradhan, S., and Ranjan, A. (2010). Corporate Social Responsibility in Rural Development Sector: Evidences From India. School of Doctoral Studies (European Union) Journal .
- RB1. (2010). Responsible Business Guide: A Toolkit for Winning Companies. Responsible Business Initiative.
- Richins, H., and Pearce, P. (2000). Influences on tourism development decision making: Coastal local government areas in Eastern Australia. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 8 (3), 207–231.
- Ryan, R., and Deci, E. (2001). On happiness and human potentials: A review of research on hedonic and eudemonic well-being. In S. Fiske, Annual review of psychology. Paolo Alto, California: Annual Reviews Inc.
- Schwartz, Mark, S., Weber, and James. (2006). A Business Ethics National Index (BENI): Measuring Business Ethics Activity Around the World. Business and Society, 45 (3), 382-405.
- Shafer, W. E., Fukukawa, K., and Lee, G. M. (2006). Values and the Perceived Importance of Ethics and Social Responsibility: The U.S. versus China. Journal of Business Ethics, 70, 265-284.
- Sharply, R., and Telfer, D. J. (2002). Tourism and Development: Concepts and Issues. Channel View Publication.
- Smith, R. A. (1992). Beach resort evolution: Implications for planning. Annals of Tourism Research , 304-322.
- Stanford, D. (2000). A review of the education of tourists to achieve sustainable tourism. Lancaster: Lancaster University.
- Vitell, S.J. and Hidalgo, E.R. J Bus Ethics (2006) 64: 31. doi:10.1007/s10551-005-4664-5
- Tearfund. (2002). Worlds Apart: A call to responsible global tourism. UK: Tearfund.
- Telfer, D. J., and Wall, G. (2000). Strengthening backward economic linkages: local food purchasing by three Indonesian hotels. Tourism Geographies, 2 (4), 421-447
- K.K. Tilak Siri, Corporate social responsibility and company performance: evidence from Sri Lanka, doctoral thesis, Victoria University, Melbourne, 2012
- Torres, R. (2003). Linkages between tourism and agriculture in Mexico. Annals of Tourism Research, 30 (3), 546-566.
- Vazquez, J. J. (2001). Socio-Economic And Ecological Effects Of Tourism: A Structural Analysis Of The Lake George Watershed Region. Troy,New York: Bell and Howell Information and Learning Company, Ph. D Thesis at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
- Wheeler, M. (1993). Tourism Marketers in Local Government. The Annals of Tourism Research , 354-356.
- Wheeler, M. (1991). Tourism Marketers in Local Government: Critical Issues and Ethical Components. Guildford: University of Surrey (PhD Thesis).
- World Bank. (2003). Public Policy for Corporate Social Responsibility. World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD).World Bank Institute.
Abstract Views: 75
PDF Views: 0