Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
The Impact of 360 Degree Feedback on Employee Role in Leadership Development
360 degree feedback has gained popularity as a performance management and career development tool in the organizations. It is a useful development tool for employees who are in a management role, and also useful to help people be more effective in their current roles, and also to help them understand what areas they should focus for development. The study is conducted about the employee’s role in leadership development through 360 degree feedback. The 360 degree feedback is not like a typical performance appraisal approach. It provides the feedback from all aspects from supervisors, seniors, peers, subordinates, suppliers, customers for an individual, the same individual will also rate himself and then match the performance from others rating. This study tests the compound correlation between employee leadership development and the application of 360-degree feedback in an organization. The contribution of this research is done through a sample of 40 employees chosen by different experienced group occupying various positions in IT organizations. The results shown that there were 20 common feedbacks in 360 degree feedback of organizations in Bhubaneswar. The data indicated that most of the feedbacks were very important. The study has been conducted on a group of employees to improve leadership development of 360 degree feedback. The results of the this analysis demonstrate that the implementation of 360-degree feedback in an organization not only gives rise to employee’s leadership development, but also helps in sustaining organizational development.
360 Degree Feedback, Individual Objectives, Individual Skill Development, Employees Leadership Development, Organization Development.
- Bookman R. Tools for cultivating constructive feedback. Association Management. 1999; 51 (2):73-8.
- Caroline Bailey and Michelle Austin. 360 Degree Feedback and Developmental Outcomes: The Role of Feedback Characteristics, Self- Efficacy and Importance of Feedback Dimensions to Focal Employees' Current Role. International Journal of Selection and Assessment. 2006; 14 (1): 51-66.
- Gallagher T. 360-Degree Performance Reviews Offer Valuable Perspectives. Financial Execute. 2008; 24(10): 61.
- Gebelein, S.H., Kinard, W. and Mitchell, D. The challenges of making 360-degree performance appraisal work. Personnel Decisions Inc, Presentation and materials from the 1998 International Conference onWork Teams.1998.
- Greenberg, J. Promote procedural justice to enhance acceptance of work outcomes. In Locke, E.A. (Ed.), Handbook of Principles of Organizational Behaviour. Blackwell Publishing. Oxford 2004; pp. 181-96.
- Jones J.E. and Bearly W.L. 360-Degree Feedback: Strategies, Tactics, and Techniques for Developing Leaders, HRD Press, Amherst, MA.1996.
- Lepsinger R. and Lucia A. The Art and Science of 360[degrees] Feedback, Jossey-Bass-Pfeiffer, San Francisco, CA.1997.
- Mondy R. Human resources management. Harlow: Pearson; 2010; 11th ed: pp.512.
- Palaiologos A., Papazekos P, and Panayotopoulou L. Organizational justice and employee satisfaction in performance appraisal. Journal of European Industrial Training. 2011; 35(8): 826–840.
- Rogers, E., Rogers, C. W., and Metlay, W. (2002). Improving the payoff from 360-degree feedback. Human Resource Planning, 25(3).
- Rowland C. A. and Hall R. D. Organisational justice and performance: Is appraisal fair? EuroMed Journal of Business.2012; 7(3):280–293.
- Tyler, T. R. (1987). Conditions leading to value-expressive effects in judgments of procedural
- justice: A test of four models. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.1987; 52(2): 333–344.
- Das U K and Panda J k. A Study on 360-Degree Feedback in Educational University With Reference To Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR).2015; 4 (4):1632-1634. DOI: 10.21275/SUB153465.
- Das U K and Panda J k. Studies on using 360 Degree Feedbacks on Management Skills and Leadership Development. SSRG International Journal of Economics and Management Studies.2016;3(6):1-5.Doi 10.14445/23939125/IJEMSV3I6P101.
- Wilson J. 360 appraisals. Training and Development.1997; Vol. 51: 44-46. Yukl G. and Lepsinger R. How to get the most out of 360-degree feedback, Training; 1995pp. 45-50.
Abstract Views: 29
PDF Views: 2