Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Awareness About Elderly Schemes and Benefits Among Senior Citizen of Jhansi City
In India’s, old age parents are cared for by their children. They need assistance in daily activities with dignity. Elderly adults are not scared of their death but they fear of losing their independence. It is the responsibility of their children as well as society to provide them security in all aspects e.g. financial, health etc. Even though government has introduced several schemes for elderly people but awareness related to these schemes is very poor. This study assessed the awareness about elderly schemes and benefits (Economic security, Insurance (Health and Pension), Reverse Mortgage, Concessions in travel, Old age homes and Miscellaneous schemes) among senior citizens of Jhansi city. Fifty old age people of Jhansi City of Uttar Pradesh state were randomly selected from Kaimasan Nagar, Shivaji Nagar, Duriyapura, Narayan Bagh, and Rajpoot colony. The structured interview schedule was prepared in accordance with methodical procedure. Results showed that education and type of family had significant association with awareness about schemes and benefits of old age. Rest of the variables (age, sex, marital status, number of family members, occupation before retirement, means of income and monthly income) has no association with awareness of elderly schemes.
Awareness, Benefits, Elderly, Schemes
- Agrawal, D., Tyagi, N., Dhakar, J.S. and Chaturvedi, M. (2019). Welfare schemes among urban elderly population of District Gautam Budh Nagar. Indian J. Community Health, 31 (3):315-321
- Bartwal, J., Rawat, C.S. and Awasthi, S. (2016). Awareness and utilization of geriatric welfare services among elderly in Nainital district of Uttarakhand. National J. Community Med., 7(9):727-731.
- Cunha, S.D., Suresh, S. and Yathindra, C. (2019). Rights of the elderly: awareness study among elderly. International J. Health Sci. Res., 9(6): 271-279
- Goswami, A. K., Ramadass, S., Kalaivani, M., Nongkynrih, B., Kant , S. and Gupta, S.K.(2019). Awareness and utilization of social welfare schemes by elderly persons residing in an urban resettlement colony of Delhi. J. Family Med. Primary Care, 8(3): 960–965.
- Joseph, N., Nelliyanil, M., Nayak, S.R., Agarwal, V., Kumar, A., Yadav, H., Ramuka, G. and Mohapatra, K.T. (2015). Assessment of morbidity pattern, quality of life and awareness of government facilities among elderly population in South India. J. Family Med. Prim. Care, 4 : 405-410.
- Kohli, C., Gupta, K., Banerjee, B. and Ingle, G.K. (2017. )Social security measures for elderly population in Delhi, India: awareness, utilization and barriers. J. Clinical & Diagnostic Res., 11(5) : LC10–LC14
- Maroof, M., Ahmad, A., Khalique, N. and Ansari, M.A. (2016). Awareness of geriatric welfare services among rural elderly population. Internat. J. Res. Med. Sci., 4(7):2783-2787 .
- Murugan, P.B. and Dhanasekaran, G. (2015). Awareness and utilization of Government welfare schemes by elderly in selected rural areas of Tamilnadu. PARIPEX - Indian J. Res., 4 (9) : 211-212.
- Nivedita, B.M., Hemavarneshwari, S., Mangala, S. and Subrahmanyam, G. (2015). Utilization of social security schemes among elderly in Kannamangala, Bengaluru. Internat. J. Sci. Stud, 3 : 82-85.
- Srivastava, A.K. and Kandpal, S.D. (2014). Awareness and utilization of social security scheme and other government benefits by the elderly-A study in rural area of district Dehradun. Indian J. Community Health, 26(4):382-387 ·
- Vidhate, K.B. and Kundap, R. (2016).Awareness about newly launched social security schemes among rural population in India. National J. Community Med., 7(12):918-921.
Abstract Views: 1
PDF Views: 0