Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Study of germination percentage, root length and shoot length of Trigonella foenum graecum (Fenugreek) irrigated with river, sewage and coalmine water
Today soil contamination is becoming a serious problem for irrigation purpose therefore the present work was done to know the impact of water from coalmine and sewage on germination percentage, root and shoot length of Trigonella foenum graecum. River water was used as a control. Germination percentage was insignificantly increased in sewage and coalmine water as compared to control (river). Significant increase was observed in root length in sewage water as compared to control. Shoot length was insignificantly decreased in sewage and coalmine water as compared to control. It can be concluded from the present study that sewage and coalmine water can be used to irrigate crops and using different sources of water for irrigation is a good way to utilize different type of wastes.
Germination percentage, Root length, Shoot length, River water, Sewage water, Coalmine water
- LITERATURE CITED
- Adriano, D.C. (1986). Trace elements in the terrestrial environment. Applied Ecology & Environmental Research, 3 (1): 1-18.
- Annandale, J.G., Jovanovic, N.Z., Benade, N. and Tanner, P.D.
- (1999). Modelling the long-term effect of irrigation with gypsiferous water on soil and water resources.
- Agric. Ecosys. & Environ., 76 : 109-119.
- Annandale, J.G., Jovanovic, N.Z., Claassens, A.S., Benade, N., Lorentz, S.A., Johnston, M.A., Tanner, P.D., Aken, M.E. and Hodgson, F.D.I. (2001). The influence of irrigation with gypsiferous mine water on soil properties and drainage water. Water Research Commission Report No. K5/858, Pretoria, South Africa.
- Augusthy, P.O. and Mani, A.S. (2001). Effect of rubber factory effluent on seed germination and seedling growth of Vigna radiatus L. J. Environ. Biol., 22:137-139.
- Bazai, Z.A. and Achakazai, A.K.K. (2006).Effect of waste water from Quetta city on germination and seedling growth of lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.) J. Appl. Sci., 6 : 380382.
- Dash, A.K. (2012). Impact of domestic waste water on seed germination and physiological parameters of rice and wheat. IJRRAS, 12 (2) : 2-5.
- Gowd, S.S., Reddy, M.R.M. and Govil, P.K. (2010).Assessment of heavy metal contamination in soil at Jajmau (Kanpur) and Unnao Industrial areas of the Ganga plain, Uttar Pradesh, India. J. Hazardous Materials, 174 : 113-121.
- Huma, Z., Naveed S., Rashid A., Ullah A. and Khattak I. (2012).
- Effect of domestic and industrial waste water on germination and seedling growth of some plants.
- Curi.Opin.Agric. 1(1):27-30.
- Jovanovic, N.Z., Barnard, R.O., Rethman, N.F.G. and Annandale, J.G. (1998). Crops can be irrigated with lime-treated acid mine drainage. Water SA., 24 (2) : 113-122.
- Jovanovic, N.Z., Annandale, J.G., Van der Westhuizen, A.M.
- and Steyn, J.M. (2002). Monitoring the soil water and salt balance under irrigation with gypsiferous mine wastewater. Surface Mining 2002 - Modern Development for the New Millennium. ISBN 1919783-40-7, South African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy.
- Kaliyamoorthy, J. (2013). Influence of pharmaceutical effluents on seedling vigour, dry mass production of horse gram (Dolichos biflorus L.). Internat. J. Modern Plant & Anim. Sci., 1(2) : 58-66.
- Kaushik, P., Garg, V.K. and Singh, B. (2005). Effect of textile effluents on growth performance of wheat cultivators.
- Bioresour. Technol., 96 : 1189-1193.
- Khan, M.G., Danlel, G., Konjit, M., Thomas, A., Eyasu, S.S. and Awoke, G. (2011). Impact of textile waste water on seed germination and some physiological parameters in pea (Pisum sativum L.), Lentil (Lensesculentum L.) and gram (Cicer arietinum L.). Asian J.Plant Sci., 10 : 269-273.
- Mistry, K., Desai, C., Lal, S., Patel, K. and Patel, B. (2010).
- Hexavalent chromium reduction by Staphylococcus.
- Spp isolated from chromium contaminated land fill.
- Internat. J. Biotechnol. &Biochemist., 6(1): 117-129.
- Rajula, R.G. and Padmadevi, S.N. (2000). Effect of industrial effluents without and with BGA on the growth and biochemical contents of the seedlings of Helianthus annus. Asian J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. & Environ.
- Sci., 2 (3-4) : 151-154.
- Rehman, S., Harris, P.J.C. and Bourne, W.F. (1998). Effect of pre-sowing treatment with calcium salts, Acacia seeds.
- Pratibha Sharma
- Shokoohi, R., Saghi, M.H., Ghafari, H.R. and Hadi, M. (2009).
- Biosorption of iron from aqueous solution by dried biomass of activated sludge. Iran J. Environmental Health Science & Engineering, 6(2): 107-114.
- Subhashini, V. and Swamy, A.V.V.S. (2015). Phytoremediation of Pb and Ni contaminated soils using (Catharanthus roseus L.). Open J. Ecology, 5 : 357-388.
- Ecoport (2013). Ecoport database. Ecoport. Available at: http:/ /www.feedpedia.org/node/16585.
Abstract Views: 281
PDF Views: 4