Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Study of Combining Ability Using CMS Line in Hybrid Rice (Oryza sativa L.)
Combining ability revealed higher specific combining ability variance than their respective general combining ability variances indicating the predominance of non-additive gene effects indicated relevance of heterosis breeding for improving the yield and yield contributing attributes. Among the testers high GCA was recorded in Sarjoo 52 and Narendra Usar 3 for harvest index, grain yield plant-1, days to 50% flowering (earliness), plant height (dwarf stature), panicle bearing tillers plant-1 and biological yield. Among the female parental lines, IR 58025 was observed as a good general combiner only for seedling height, panicle length, spikelets panicle-1, test weight, biological yield palnt-1. Cross between IR 688897A X Sarjoo 52 , IR 58025 A X 21-2-5-B-1-1, IR 58025 A X Narendra Usar 3 and IR 58025 A X IR 71829-3R-73-1-2-B shown favorable per se performances and higher significant positive SCA effects in related to grain yield plant-1. These combinations proved to be good hybrids based on CMS system in rice.
Combining Ability, Line X Tester, Rice Hybrids.
- Adilakshmi, D. and Reddy, P.R. (2012). Combining ability analysis for yield components and physiological traits in rice. Internat. J. Plant Sci., 7 : 295-300.
- Adilakshmi, D. and Upendra, A. (2014). Combining ability analysis for quality and nutritional traits in rice. Internat. J. Farm Sci., 4(2): 15-23.
- Arunachalam, V. (1974). The fallacy behind the use of modified line x tester design. Indian J. Genet, 34(2): 200-207.
- Dorosti, H. and Monajjem, S. (2014). Gene action and combining ability for grain yield and yield related traits in rice (Oryza sativa L.). J. Agric. Sci., 9:100-108.
- Dwivedi, D.K., Pandey, M.P., Pandey, S.K. and Li, R. (1999). Studies on screening and genetics of wide compatibility in rice. Indian J. Genet., 53: 1-14.
- Ghosh, A. (1993). Combining ability for yield and its related traits in upland rice. Oryza, 30 : 275-279.
- Hasan, M.J., Kulsum, U.K., Lipi, L.F. and Shamsuddin, A.K.M. (2013). Combining ability studies for developing new rice hybrids in Bangladesh. Bangladesh J. Bot., 42(2): 215-222.
- Kempthorne, O. (1957). An introduction to genetical statistics (Ed.). John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York, USA.
- Patial, M., Pal, D. and Kumar, J. (2016). Combining ability and gene action studies for grain yield and its component traits in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) SABRAO J. Breed. Genet., 48 (1) : 90-96.
- Prasad, S., Verma, O.P., Treepathi, N., Ashish and Yadav, P.K. (2013). Combining ability for yield and its contributing traits in rice (Oryza sativa L.) under salt affected soil. Internat. J. Sci. & Res., 6 : 1050-1054.
- Priyanka, K., Jaiswal, H.K. and Waza, S.A. (2014). Combining ability and heterosis for yield, its component traits and some grain quality parameters in rice (Oryza sativa L.). J. Appl. & Natural Sci., 6 (2): 495-506.
- Rosamma, C.A. and Vijayakumar, N.K. (2005). Heterosis and combining ability in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Indian J. Genet., 65(2): 119-120.
- Saleem, M.Y., Mirza, J.I. and Haq, M.A. (2010). Combining ability analysis for yield and related traits in basmati rice (Oryza sativa L.). Pak. J. Bot., 42(1): 627-637.
- Singh, N.K. and Kumar, Anand (2004). Combining ability analysis to identify suitable parents for heterotic rice hybrid breeding. Internat. Rice Res. Notes, 29(1): 21-22.
Abstract Views: 43
PDF Views: 28