An Analysis of Guest Occupancy and Profit of Private and Public Hotels in Cox's Bazar
Purpose:The aim of this research was to find out the differences in guest occupancies and profits of the private and public hotels between and within the years 2008 and 2014.
Methodology: The researchers followed explanatory research to differentiate the data with statistical tools. The researchers undertook the deductive approach to test the hypothesis comparing occupancy and profit of the hotels. The researchers used survey and interview method in this study. Public and private hotels were chosen as sample during the year 2008 and 2014 from Cox's Bazar main beach area. The samples were selected based on judgment sampling method. The researchers used mono method and a cross-sectional research by considering the data of the years 2008 and 2014 only.
This research mainly based on field survey instead of depending on the artificial figures provided by the hotel officials. The information was confirmed by several respondents during the interview.
Findings: Significant differences found in the occupancies and profits of the public and private hotels during the year 2008 and 2014 individually. Also, between the years, 2008 and 2014, differences were observed in occupancy and profit of the private hotels. No difference diagnosed in the occupancy and profit of public hotels between 2008 and 2014. In the survey, the researchers‟ diagnosed that the hotels had a common tendency to avoid Tax payment to keep the profit uncut.
Practical implications: Further research can be done to compare the tax earnings of the government from public and private sector at different period. New researchers can use this research data in further research to calculate the tax payment based on revenue earnings and occupancy.
- Afroz, S. (2008). Lodge Selection and Satisfaction: A Case Study in Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh. Journal of Business Studies, 29(1), 207-220.
- Ahammed, S. S., (2010). Impact of Tourism in Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh (Unpublished Master thesis). North South University, Bangladesh.
- Akter, S. (2001). Tourism in Bangladesh: An Evaluation. Journal of Bangladesh Asiatic Society Bangladesh.
- Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation. (2004). Bangladesh Tourism Vision 2020. (Ed.) Morshed, M. M. R. Planning, Training, & Statistics Division, Dhaka.
- Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation. (2013). Beach. May 12 from http://www.parjatan.gov.bd/beaches.php
- Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation. (2013). Coxs Bazar. Retrieved May 12 from http://www.parjatan.gov.bd/cox_bazar.php?category=76
- Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation. (2013). Retrieved May 12 from http://www.parjatan.gov.bd/
- Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation. (2013). Tourists Attractions. Retrieved May 12 from http://www.parjatan.gov.bd/tourist_attract.php
- Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation. (2014). Historical Places. Tourists Attractions. Retrieved May 8 from http://www.parjatan.gov.bd/index.php?option=com_tourism &view=page&layout=sub_menu&sub_menu_id=3&Itemid=
- Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation. (2014). Retrieved May 21 from http://www.parjatan.gov.bd/
- Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation. (2014). Retrieved May 21 from http://www.parjatan.gov.bd/index.php/en/component/t ourism/?view=page&layout=sub_sub_menu&sub_sub_me nu_id=195&Itemid=112
- Baroos, C. P., Alves, F. P., (2004). Productivity in the Tourism Industry. International Advances in Economic Research, 10(3), 215-225
- Borooah, V. K., (1999). The Supply of Hotel Rooms Queensland, Australia. Annals of Tourism Research, 26(4), 985-1003
- Das, R. K., Chakraborty, J., (2012). An Evaluative Study on Tourism In Bangladesh. Developing Country Studies, 2(1), 17-27
- Gupta, S.P., Gupta, M.P., (2000), Business Statistics. Sultan Chad and Sons. New Delhi. India
- Hasan, S. R., & Chowdhury, A. I., (1995). Hotel and Restaurant Services and the Development of Tourism in Bangladesh. Dhaka University Journal of Business Studies, 16(2), 175-183
- Hasan, S. R., (2005). Marketing Publicity and Sales Promotion For Tourism Development in Bangladesh. Paper Readout in the workshop on tourism Mater plan, Held on January, 15-16
- Hossain, M. A. and Nazmin, S., (2006). Development of Tourism Industry in Bangladesh- An Empirical Study on its Problems and Prospects. Centre for Tourism and Hotel Management Research, Ga-1, Rashedul Hasan Bhaban, University of Dhaka, Dhaka.
- Hossain, M. J., Chowdhury, F. S., Ahmed, R., (2012). Status of Tourism Research in Bangladesh: A Review of Literature. Bangladesh Research Foundation Journal. 1(1), 197-206
- Islam, S M N., (2013). Tourism Marketing in Developing Countries: A Study of Bangladesh. Hospitality and Tourism Management, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow. (2014, June 24) Retrieved from http://www.scribd.com/doc/124513589/Tourism- Marketing-in-Developing-Countries-a-Study-of-Bangladesh
- Ivanov, S., (2006). Management of Overbookings in the Hotel Industry - Basic Concepts and Practical Challenges. Tourism Today. 6, 19-32
- Ivanov, S., (2007). Dynamic Overbooking Limits for Guaranteed and Nonguaranteed Hotel Reservations. Tourism Today. 7, 100-108
- Kimes, S.E., Mcuire, K.A. (2001). Function Space Revenue Management: Applying Yield Management to Function Space. CHR Working Paper, The Centre for Hospitality Research, School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University. (2005, December 16) Retrieved from http://www.hotelschool.cornell.edu/chr/pdf/showpdf/ch r/research/working/functionspace.pdf
- Kumar, R. (2011). Research Methodology; A step by step Guide for Beginnerrs. Dorling Kindersley Private Limited, New Delhi.
- Mamun, M. A. A., Hasan, M. K., Hossain, S. A. K. M., (2013). Image of Cox's Bazar Beach as a Tourist Destination: An Investigation. International Review of Business Research, 9(5), 122 - 138
- Mattila, A. S., O'Neill J. W. (2003). Relationships Between Hotel Room Pricing, Occupancy, and Guest Satisfaction: A Longitudinal Case of a Midscale Hotel in the United States. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 20 (10), 1-15
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P. and Thornhill, A., (2011). Research Methods for Business Students. New Delhi: Dorling Kindersley (India) Private Limited.
- Siddiqi, R. (1997). Potential of Tourism in Bangladesh Remain Unrecognized, Unused. The Bangladesh Monitor, 7(4), 1-24
- Stanislav, I., (2007). Dynamic Overbooking Limits for Guaranteed and Nonguaranteed Hotel Reservations. Tourism Today, 7, 100 - 108
- Sunderbans voted out of 7 wonders race (2011, November 12). The Daily Star. Retrieved from http://archive.thedailystar.net/newDesign/newsdetails. php?nid=209818
- Svec, R., Picha, K., Gilliam, V. L. W. B., Navratil, J., & Dolezalova, H., (2012). The Impact of Visitor Segments on the Perception of the Quality of the Product of Accommodation Establishments. Acta Universitatis Agriculturae Et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, LX 42(7), 399-408
- Tuhin, M. K. W., Majumder, M. T. H., (2011). An Appraisal of Tourism Industry Development in Bangladesh. European Journal of Business and Management, 3(3), 287-297
Abstract Views: 317
PDF Views: 135