Open Access Subscription Access
Strategic Management in Zimbabwean Profit and Non-Profit Organizations: Identifying the Missing Tools in the Strategy Implementation Kit Bag
The purpose of this study was to identify the determinants of strategic success or failure in Zimbabwean Profit and Non-Profit Organizations. The convergent parallel mixed methods research design was adopted as the guiding model for the data collection, analysis and interpretation process in this study. This explains why data was collected through a concurrent parallel methodological triangulation of questionnaires, semi-structured interviews, and document analysis. Quantitative data was analyzed using the Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS) version 21.0 while the analysis of qualitative data was performed using the NVivo 10 data analysis software. The study established that there is a high rate of strategy implementation failure in Zimbabwean Profit and Non-profit Organizations. The failure to build the distinctive competences and resource capabilities needed for successful strategy implementation was identified as the main cause of strategic failure in these Organizations.
Strategic Management, Environmental Scanning, Strategy Formulation, Strategy Implementation, Evaluation and Control, Strategic Success, Strategic Failure.
- Aaker, D., 1998, Strategic Marketing Management, 5th Edition, John Wiley and Sons Inc.
- Aaker, D.A., and Joachimsthaler, E., 2009, Brand Leadership, Free Press New York.
- Alexander, L. D., 1991, Strategy Implementation: Nature of the Problem, International Review of Strategic Management 2(1)
- Anderson, G., 1993, Fundamentals of Educational Research.Falmer Press, London, and pp: 152-160.
- Beer M., & Eisenstat R. A., 2000, The Silent Killers of Strategy Implementation and Learning, Sloan Management Review, 41 (4)
- Bryman, A., 2009, Social Research Methods (3rd edition) London, SAGE Publications Ltd.
- Buchanan, B., 1974, Building Organizational Commitment-The Socialization of Managers in Work Organizations, Administrative Science Quarterly, 19(4).
- Charan, R., 1999, Business Builders, management solutions, exponential results, Fortunes Journal.
- Creswell, J. W. and Plano Clark, V. L., 2011, Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Creswell, J.W., 2003, Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative and Mixed Methods Approaches, 2nd edition, SAGE, London.
- Davis, S.M., 2000, Brand Asset Management: Driving Profitable Growth through Your Brands, Jossey-Bass Inc Publishers, a Francisco, and California.
- Denscombe M., 1998, the Good Research Guide for Small Scale Social Research Projects. Glasgow, MacGraw Hill.
- Denscombe, M., (2010) the Good Research Guide for Small Social Research Projects, Glasgow, McGraw-Hill House.
- Denzin, N. K., 1989, the Research Act. A Theoretical Introduction to Sociological Methods (3rd Ed). New Jersey, Prentice Hall.
- Downes, L., 2001, Strategy Can be Deadly-Industry Trend or Event, the Industry Standard.
- Drazin,R. And Howard, P, 1984, Strategy Implementation: A Techniques for Organizational Design, Columbia Journal of World Business, 19:40-46.
- Edwards, A. and Skinner, J., 2009, Qualitative Research in Sports Management, Elsevier Ltd, Hungary.
- Freebody, P. 2003. Qualitative Research in Education: Interaction and Practice, London, Sage Press.
- Galpin J. T., 1998, When Leaders Really Walk the Talk: Making Strategy Work Through People, Human Resource Planning, 21 (3).
- Harrington, R. J., 2006, The Moderating Effects of Size, Manager Tactics and Involvement on Strategy Implementation in Food Service, Hospitality Management, 25(3):385-395.
- Hrebiniak, L.G., 2006, Obstacles to Effective Strategy Implementation. Organizational Dynamics 35(1): 12-31.
- Li Yang, Guohui, S. And Eppler, M. J., 2008. Making Strategy Work: A Literature Review on the Factors Influencing Strategy Implementation,ICA Working Paper.
- Locke, E.P., and Latham, G.P, 1990, a Theory of Goal Setting and Task Performance. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Mintzberg, H. and Quinn, J. B., 1991, The Strategy Process: Concepts, Contexts, Cases, Second edition, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, Prentice Hall.
- Neuman C.,2009, Designing Social Research (6th edition) London Blackwell Publishing
- Noble, C. H., 1999, the Eclectic Roots of Strategy Implementation Research, Journal of Business Research, 45, 119 - 134.
- Noor,K.B.M,,2008, Case Study: A Strategic Research Methodology , American Journal of Applied Sciences 5 (11): 1602-1604
- Raps, A., 2004, Implementing Strategy - Tap Into the Power of Four Key Factors to Deliver Success.
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P. and Thornhill A., 2007, Research Methods for Business Students, Pitman Publishing, London.
- Schaap, J.I., 2006, Toward Strategy Implementation Success: An Empirical Study of the Role of Senior- Level Leaders in the Nevada Gaming Industry. UNLV Gaming Research & Review, 10: 13-37.
- Sekaran, U., 1992, Research Methods of Business: A Skill-Building Approach (2nd ed.). New York, USA: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Sharma, A., 2009, Implementing Balanced Scorecard for Performance Measurement, The Icfai University Press.
- Thompson A.A. ,Strickland A.J and Gambles ,J.E.,2003, Crafting and Executing strategy, McGraw-Hill,
- VanAuken, B., 2002 the Brand Management Checklist, Kogan Page LTD, London, UK.
- Vroom, Victor H., 1964, Work and Motivation. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Abstract: Vroom's seminal book that introduces his Expectancy Theory Cognitive Model. Vroom Introduces the Model and its Concepts of Valence, Expectancy, and Force
- Wheelen, T.L. and Hunger, D.J., 2006, Strategic Management and Business Policy, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, USA.
- Yin, R. K., 2003, Case Study Research, Design and Methods, 3rd ed. Newbury Park, Sage Publications.
- Yin, R.K., 1994, Case Study Research: Design and Methods, Sage Publication, Thousands Oakes, California.
Abstract Views: 302
PDF Views: 94